Search This Blog

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Prince Pitfall


The Prince Pitfall

by, Diana B. Thompson



I was attending a book event, and the tall 30-something man stopped at my table. Alone.  He just stood there, as if waiting for something.

“This is the most important Cinderella story you will find.” I told him. “CinderSilly doesn’t need magic or marriage to solve her problems.”

The man suddenly became very animated, as if he’d been waiting for his cue.

“Do you know how hard it is to be the prince in shining armor?” he ranted. “I can’t sweep a girl off her feet.  I have a bad back.”

“I wrote this book for you,” I laughed.

With all the talk about the Cinderella trap for girls, it’s easy to overlook the prince charming pitfall for boys. Girls who buy into the princess scenario, may have unrealistic expectations of their male counterparts.  Just like Cinderellas are expected to be beautiful and helpless, Prince Charmings are handsome, wealthy, and strong.

While testing CinderSilly, I had the chance to read it for a group of adult women.  A near riot occurred when I reached the story’s end.  There was no romantic dance, no warm embrace, no happily ever after in wedded bliss.  They were horrified.  “Just what kind of fairytale is this?” They asked.  I replied, “The kind where girls can be strong and resourceful.  And, where boys can just be friends.”

No comments:

Post a Comment